Do you have an Amazon Smart Speaker (Dot, Echo, Studio, etc.) and want a handy cheat sheet of commands to use with it? Do you have an elderly friend or parent who could use a little help with what commands exactly to give Alexa? You’ve come to the right place! Download this free PDF cheat sheet of commands to use with your Amazon Alexa Smart Speaker!
I hope you find this helpful, if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you; it helps cover the website hosting fees.
I got an Echo Dot for my folks as a Christmas present. They’re pretty smart, so they’ll catch on pretty quickly, but just in case, I made a printable cheat sheet for them to have handy until they get the hang of it.
I actually found this downloadable Alexa cheat sheet handy myself; I sometimes forget everything Alexa can do! These commands should work with the following smart speakers:
- Amazon Echo Dot
- Amazon Echo
- All-New Echo Dot (I recommend this one)
- Echo Studio
As well as the Smart Speakers with Screens:
- Echo Show 5
- Echo Show 8
- Echo Show 15 (Mounts on the wall like a TV)
Free Downloadable PDF of Common Alexa Commands
Click here to Download the Alexa Cheat Sheet pdf.
Is Alexa asking you to purchase stuff? Read the next section to turn it off!
How to make it Stop asking you to buy Amazon Music
One kind of annoying think Alexa does is that every time you ask her to play music or nature sounds, she asks if you want to buy Amazon Music Unlimited. She also phrases it in a way where it is easy to accidentally say ‘Yes,” and now you’ve just set up a recurring monthly payment!
To make Alexa stop asking you to buy Amazon Music, you have to disable Voice Purchasing.
To turn Voice Purchasing off for your account, you have to use the Alexa app.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone.
- Select More and then select Settings.
- Select Account Settings.
- Select Voice Purchasing.
- Turn Voice Purchasing off.
Now she won’t ask you if you want to purchase Amazon Music Unlimited anymore!
Do you want to try Amazon Music Unlimited for free? Click here to Try it Free for 30 Days!
How about Audible Audio Books? Click here to Try it Free for 30 Days!
Sample Alexa Commands
Below is a short example of some of the commands included in the Alexa Cheat Sheet PDF:
- “Alexa, stop.”
- “Alexa, what time is it?”
- “Alexa, what’s the weather today?”
- “Alexa, set an alarm for [time].”
- “Alexa, add milk to my shopping list.”
- “Alexa, play some light jazz music.”
- “Alexa, turn on the news.”
- “Alexa, what’s the definition of [word]?”
- “Alexa, set a timer for 20 minutes.”
- “Alexa, give me a joke.”
- “Alexa, what’s on my calendar for today?”
- “Alexa, call [contact name].”
- “Alexa, set the volume to 4.”
- “Alexa, turn off the lights.”
- “Alexa, what’s the weather forecast for the week?”
- “Alexa, play a daily meditation.”
- “Alexa, how do I make a pot of coffee?”
- “Alexa, what’s the weather like in [city]?”
- “Alexa, play a book from Audible.”
- “Alexa, remind me to take my medication at 3 PM.”
- “Alexa, tell me a bedtime story.”
Why are Amazon Alexa Devices so Inexpensive?
There are a few reasons why Alexa smart speakers may be less expensive than other types of technology, and the reasons may not be what you think.
- They are often sold at a lower price as a way to attract customers and get them to try out the technology, and thereby ‘lock’ customers into their eco-system.
- In the case of Amazon Alexa devices, Amazon the company, is hoping that users use the voice enabled devices for shopping. As in, “Alexa, buy diapers from Amazon.com.” If that is the case, Amazon may be willing to sell the device at cost, or perhaps even at a loss, if they will make up the difference later on through online purchases that may not have been done through Amazon if the user didn’t own a smart speaker from the company.
- Smart speakers are mass-produced, which allows the manufacturer to sell them at a lower price point.
- They are designed to be simple, software driven, and with very few moving parts, which makes them less expensive to produce.
- They rely on cloud computing and other remote resources for some of their functions, which means that they don’t need as much processing power and storage as other types of devices.
- It’s worth noting that the price of Alexa smart speakers can vary depending on the specific model and features. Some models may be more expensive due to their added features or higher-quality components.
Whether or not an Alexa smart speaker is a good investment depends on your individual needs and budget. If you think you would find the features and convenience of an Alexa smart speaker useful, it may be worth considering.
Here are some reasons why an Alexa smart speaker might be a good investment:
See the previous section for why, but these devices are pretty inexpensive if you think about it. You can usually find them on sale for $15-$25. Honestly, it’s hard to leave McDonalds without spending at least that, and here you’re getting a voice activated speaker that will last a couple of years, maybe even more.
Convenience and Hands-Free Control
With an Alexa smart speaker, you can control a wide range of devices and access information simply by using your voice. This can save you time and effort and potentially make your daily routine more efficient.
An Alexa smart speaker allows you to control your smart home devices, play music, set alarms and timers, and much more without having to use your hands. This can be especially useful if you’re busy cooking, cleaning, or doing other tasks that require your hands to be occupied.
Access to Information
An Alexa smart speaker can answer a wide range of questions, provide news and weather updates, give you traffic and travel information, and much more. This can help you stay informed and up to date on what’s happening in the world.
With an Alexa smart speaker, you can easily shop online simply by using your voice. At least this is what Amazon is hoping! This can be a convenient way to purchase items you need without having to go to a store or browse online on your computer or phone.
An Alexa smart speaker can provide a wide range of entertainment options, including music, audiobooks, podcasts, and more. This can be a great way to relax and unwind after a long day.
Voice Control for Other Devices
Many smart home devices and appliances can be controlled with voice commands through an Alexa smart speaker. This can make it easier to control and manage your home, even if you’re not physically present.
An Alexa smart speaker can be customized with a wide range of “skills” that allow you to do even more with your device. These skills can help you stay organized, improve your productivity, and even have some fun.
Easy to Use
An Alexa smart speaker is designed to be easy to use, with intuitive voice commands and a simple setup process. This can make it accessible for people of all ages and tech-savviness levels.
I hope you found this cheat sheet useful, for you or someone else in your life! If you did, leave us a comment below. Also, if I missed anything, let me know that, too!
All the best,