Hi, I’m Richard Tomlinsen! One of my passions is harvesting and making Delicious Maple Syrup!
Making Maple Syrup is a great family activity to engage in as soon as Winter starts to come to an end and Spring begins to emerge!
It’s not complicated and is loads of fun!
Where to Start?
Check out my free Making-Maple-Syrup-Quick-Guide-PDF “Cheat Sheet” to make harvesting and boiling maple syrup easy!
What Equipment do I Need?
Check out the Maple Syrup Resources Page for links to the equipment I use and recommend as well as a list of free eBooks and other resources related to making Delicious Maple Syrup!
Making Maple Syrup is Fun and Easy!
These are the 5 steps in Making Maple Syrup:
- Identify a Maple Tree and start tapping when the temperature is above freezing during the day, and below freezing at night
- Drill a small hole in the tree and tap in a spile; the tree will start dripping sap immediately!
- Once you have collected enough sap, boil 5-gallons at a time over a wood fire or propane burner
- Stop boiling when the sap reaches 219°F.
- Bottle the delicious Maple Syrup while still hot and seal with canning lids or caps!
Click the Pictures below for more details on each step:
From the blog
I switched from boiling maple sap over a wood fire to using a propane turkey fryer and never looked back! These are the reasons I switched!Read More…
Answers to a list of the most common questions related to tapping maple trees and boiling sap into delicious maple syrup!Read More…
This picture guide walks through the easy process of using a simple refractometer to measure the sugar content of Pure Maple Syrup!Read More…
Check out the Podcast!
Or listen in your browser:
What is the Maillard Reaction? And How Can I Use it to Make Better Tasting Maple Syrup? – How to Make Maple Syrup!