This post gives a quick reference for running the radio diagnostics on the stock radio in a 2003-2008 Honda Accord.
If you purchase something through links on this page, I may earn a commission at no cost to you.
Stock Radio Diagnostics Screen
Follow these steps to get the radio into diagnostics mode:
- Turn the car on or at least to the II key position.
- Simultaneously press and hold the 1 and the 6 preset buttons.
- While holding the 1 and the 6, press and release the radio power button.
- Press the preset buttons in order to access the various functions.
- When finished, press the radio power button to exit diagnostics mode.
If you determine that your radio is defunct, consider this radio+bluetooth upgrade made specifically for 2003-2007 Honda Accords.
In diagnostic mode, there are not too many functions to access, but the ones that are available may be helpful. This is a picture of the initial diagnostics screen.
Press the preset buttons (1 through 6) to access the various functions. Those that are available are listed below.
Preset 6: DSP Status. OK or NG
- DSP OK indicates that the DSP is working okay.
- DSP NG – Display Bus Negative. Indicates that the bus line is faulty. (NG = negative)
- EEP OK
- TmR OK
If you get the DSP NG reading, it is indicating a fault in the connection between the head unit and the connector (not the wiring harness). You should check the wiring connections between the radio, display, and power connection.
Preset 3: LCD Display. All On
The preset 3 allows you to check if any portion of the LCD display is inoperative or burnt out. Everything that it can possibly display is shown, allowing you to evaluate the display.
Preset 4: LCD Display. All Off
The preset 4 allows you to check if any portion of the LCD display is always on and not responding. When pressed, the entire screen should go blank. If not, there is some issue with the display.
To exit diagnostics mode, press the radio power button.
And that’s all I got. I hope you found this useful!