Hi, I’m Richard Tomlinsen! One of my passions is harvesting and making Delicious Maple Syrup!
Making Maple Syrup is a great family activity to engage in as soon as Winter starts to come to an end and Spring begins to emerge!
It’s not complicated and is loads of fun!
Listen to the Making Maple Syrup Song: Hard Maplin’
Where to Start?
Check out my free Making-Maple-Syrup-Quick-Guide-PDF “Cheat Sheet” to make harvesting and boiling maple syrup easy!
What Equipment do I Need?
Check out the Maple Syrup Resources Page for a list of free eBooks and other resources related to making Delicious Maple Syrup!
Making Maple Syrup is Fun and Easy!
These are the 5 steps in Making Maple Syrup:
- Identify a Maple Tree and start tapping when the temperature is above freezing during the day, and below freezing at night
- Drill a small hole in the tree and tap in a spile; the tree will start dripping sap immediately!
- Once you have collected enough sap, boil 5-gallons at a time over a wood fire or propane burner
- Stop boiling when the sap reaches 219°F.
- Bottle the delicious Maple Syrup while still hot and seal with canning lids or caps!
Click the Pictures below for Detailed Articles on each step (Just getting started? Start from left to right!):
From the blog
Get Your Maple Syrup T-Shirt!
Click the links below to view our Maple Syrup T-shirts on Amazon.com!
Additional Articles in this Series on Maple Syrup Making!
These are the links to the other articles in this series:
- How to Tap Trees for Maple Syrup
- How to Boil Sap for Maple Syrup Outdoors
- 5 Reasons to Use a Propane Stove for Making Maple Syrup
- How to Use a Refractometer for Maple Syrup
- How to Perfect the Finishing Boil for Maple Syrup
- Frequently Asked Questions Related to Maple Syrup Making
- What is the “Jones Rule of 86?” And How Can I Use it to Make Maple Syrup?
- Free Maple Syrup Jar Labels (Printable PDF)
- “How to Make Maple Syrup Podcast!”
Check out the Podcast!
Or listen in your browser:
Top 5 Lesser-Known Mistakes When Making Maple Syrup (Rebroadcast) – How to Make Maple Syrup!
In this episode I go over 5 lesser known, yet still somewhat common mistakes people tend to make when making homemade maple syrup. We start with several mistakes related to boiling the sap into syrup and how that can be messed up! We then cover the final filtering stages when everything happens so fast! Don’t miss this episode to improve your Maple Syrup making operation! Below are links to equipment that I use and recommend for making Maple Syrup: Propane Stove: https://amzn.to/3L7aY1P Maple Syrup Refractometer: https://amzn.to/3uc54Wk Dial Thermometer: https://amzn.to/3Im7OFy Digital Candy Thermometer: https://amzn.to/3D0Egfv Non-woven mesh Filters: https://amzn.to/3H6tOU2 Synthetic Maple Syrup Filter: https://amzn.to/33za4e7 Filter Holder Wire: https://amzn.to/3p20PL6 Maple Syrup Canning Bottles: https://amzn.to/36s1j6R For more details on these topics, visit the website: https://practicalmechanic.com/maplesyrup Download a free eBook as well as other resources from around the web at: https://practicalmechanic.com/maplesyrupresources Here’s a link to my YouTube Video on How to Make Maple Syrup in 4 Minutes: https://youtu.be/XoIB4nVL3ws Send me an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org I’d love to hear from you, leave me a voicemail! https://anchor.fm/how-to-make-maple-syrup/message Leave a review for this podcast, it helps get the word out! https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-to-make-maple-syrup/id1596149713 Thanks for Listening to the: How to Make Maple Syrup Podcast Podcast Host: Richard Tomlinsen Episode 022 As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. — Send in a voice message: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/how-to-make-maple-syrup/message Support this podcast: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/how-to-make-maple-syrup/support
- Top 5 Lesser-Known Mistakes When Making Maple Syrup (Rebroadcast)
- What are the Top 5 Most Common Mistakes When Making Maple Syrup? (Rebroadcast)
- Hard Maplin' – Behind the Music (Rebroadcast)
- Finishing Boil for Maple Syrup – Top 5 Tips (Rebroadcast)
- Top 5 Tips for Boiling Maple Syrup Outdoors (Rebroadcast)
Watch Us on YouTube!